Sunday, August 28, 2011

Blog Assignment 1

Hello everybody! My name is Haley Denton, and, like all my EDM 310 classmates, i am an education major at the University of South Alabama, particularly mathematics. I have lived in south Mississippi all my life and am currently living in Lucedale, MS.  I graduated from George County High School in 2009 and started my college career at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College.  Therefore, I am a transfer student and this is my first semester at USA.  Like many people, my family is the most important thing in my life.  I don't have a very large family, but we are extremely close. One of my favorite things to do (even though i don't have much time between school and work) are different kinds of crafts.  While in high school i worked a couple years at a local florist, which was the best job ever.  I learned many things working there and i still enjoy using what I've learned.  Wreaths, bows, and arrangements are my favorites.
I'm sure everyone has heard it a million times, but i believe school, specifically teachers are among one of the most influencing things on one's life.  I also just generally enjoy the school type environment.  I like the thought of being able to teach and help people better their lives through education.  Like many, i had those few teachers who have had a great influence on my life and future, and being able to do this for someone is almost a dream of mine.

I have never heard of Randy Pausch before viewing his video on time management. I personally agree with his statement that Americans are bad with dealing with time as opposed to money, and believe that many others do but just aren't active in doing anything about it, which i am guilty of.  I also agree with him in that time and money are equatable.  His advice of asking "why" is, in my opinion, one of the most important pieces of information in this video.  Having this insight will give one insensitive for accomplishing his or her goal.  My favorite quote of this video is "Failing to plan is planning to fail", This sentence speaks so much.  He is also exactly on point in saying to do the least favorite, most time consuming, or "ugliest" goal first.  Getting it over with will lighten the load and make it easier to complete the rest of one's goals.  The only part of this video i don't wholly agree with is his statement "don't do something right, do the right thing."  It is obvious he is not telling someone to not do things right, but he is putting doing the right thing over doing something the right way.  I believe these concepts should be held equal. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Haley!
    It is good to hear more about you! Hope you are enjoying getting ready for all the fun things you are going to learn in EDM310!
    Your first post is great, but be sure to always edit your posts for any grammar or spelling errors. It is good that you enjoyed Randy Pausch's advice on Time Management because you will be hearing more from him later on in the semester! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Haley!
    I enjoyed reading your post. Like you, I also had never heard of Dr. Pausch until we had to watch the video. I needed to here what he had to say about Time Management because I am a procrastinator, and I also wait to do the hardest thing, on my list, last. I found his video very helpful and I hope you did to. I look forward to reading more of your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can always make more money, but time is finite. How does Pausch's words impact your ideas on learning? When I think of the time I spend with my students, it is very short compared to the rest of their lives. What should I focus on when they are with me?

    ReplyDelete